This is a comprehensive service which enables the owner of the server to pass the day to day maintenance and administration of the server to CSCS staff. This service can apply to a virtual server or a physical server.
Under this service CSCS will manage:
- Day to day operation of the OS, including patching, configuring essential services and offering guidance on running the server
- Manage hardware warranties and technical issues with manufacturers for physical servers purchased through CSCS
- Provide technical advice and support with respect to the OS and core services
Please note that while this is a comprehensive service, CSCS cannot usually provide support for the running or configuration of third party applications, unless there are clear OS issues which are preventing the application running correctly.
Do you go Virtual or Physical?
There are two options for a managed server – virtual or physical.
- Virtual – With this option CSCS provides a virtual server at no additional charge. Virtual servers are recommended for most use cases. Please see the Virtual Server Service page for more details.
- Physical – With this option the client chooses a suitable physical server. CSCS can advise and purchase servers on behalf of the client if this is preferred. This can help with hardware warranty issues. The server can be located in a CSCS server room, but additional Rack Space Rental charges will apply. This option is recommended for resource intensive operations (such as complex, CPU intensive computations or image analysis tasks for example).
For more information, please see the CSCS Server Hosting and Management – Information, Terms and Conditions
A server which is supported by CSCS including Operating System and hardware (where appropriate) but not applications Cost £100.00 Per Month