This service provides management and support of computers or laptops on the CSCS network, including the following;
- Access to CSCS managed systems and services including home drives, group drives and Exchange email
- Remote and on-site technical support for hardware and software faults and requests
- Hardware support is free for systems covered by the manufacturer warranty, for systems out of warranty any components which needs replacing would be chargeable
- Software licenses can only be purchased from University Information Services, or from a software supplier via the University Finance System Marketplace, once a license has been obtained CSCS can deploy the software automatically
- Sophos Anti-Virus, automatically deployed and updated
- Microsoft Office
- Automatic updates of Microsoft software including Windows and Office
- Provision of a loan laptop or computer in the event that your system needs to be taken away for repair
All computers and laptops must comply with the following minimum requirements, which have been put in place ensure that the computers are appropriate for domain use and to prevent very old or very slow computers from being added to the domain. The minimum requirements are also intended to reduce support calls for antiquated hardware. CSCS reserve the right to refuse to add a computer to support if it is deemed unsuitable following an assessment by CSCS staff.
Minimum requirements are primarily used for joining the Computer Support Service. However, if a machine that is below the minimum specification is already on support, we reserve the right to stop supporting it if it becomes to old or problematic.
NOTE: Machines with pre-existing faults (hardware and software including the operating system) cannot be added to support until such faults have been resolved.
Please see our guides page for Windows minimum requirements: https://cscs-itsupport.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FAQ/pages/21365915/Windows+-+Minimum+Hardware+Threshold
Please see our guides page for Mac minimum requirements: https://cscs-itsupport.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FAQ/pages/21365824/Macs+-+Minimum+Hardware+Threshold
Please see our guides page for Linux minimum requirements: https://cscs-itsupport.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FAQ/pages/21365531/Linux+-+Minimum+Hardware+Threshold
For computers not purchased through CSCS there is a one-off charge to join support (see below) and we will need a purchase order before we can collect your computer.
Computers purchased through CSCS can be joined to the service at no charge for up to 30 days from the date of delivery, after which time the one off fee and minimum requirements check would apply.
Computers previously on the Support Service are entitled to re-join without checking requirements or paying any fees for up to 30 days from when they are unsubscribed; after which time the one-off fee and requirements check will apply.
Please note we do not perform onsite visits to computers not on the CSCS network. In some instances offsite devices can sign up for support but in the event of an incident that cannot be remotely resolved the owner will need to bring the device to the CSCS office for repair
The one off cost to add a machine to support which was not purchased through CSCS. Once added to support it is on the CSCS domain which provides access to network resources including the use of CSCS user accounts and group drives.
£3.91 Per Month
Network connection service. This is compulsory for computer support.
£10.83 Per Month