CSCS are making some improvements to your email service to provide a better user experience. The key improvements for you as a user of this service are:
- Increased mailbox quota from 5GB to 50GB
- Improved Outlook Web App (webmail) experience and better support for more browsers and mobile devices
- Improved service resiliency
Changes will be being made in two phases.
- Monday 20th and Tuesday 21st November – we will be changing your connections to the email system
- Saturday 25th and Sunday 26th November – we will be moving your mailbox data
Will I have to do anything?
No changes should be required on any of your computers or mobile devices. The existing configuration should continue to work.
If you are using Microsoft Outlook then you may see prompts asking you to restart Outlook. This is expected, normal behaviour.
If you do experience problems, please try the following before contacting us:
- Restart your email application
- Restart your computer
- Check for known problems and solutions at our self help troubleshooting page: https://cscs-itsupport.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FAQSTAGE/pages/24379501/Exchange+Server+Upgrade+-+Client+Troubleshooting
- Try accessing your mailbox using Webmail at https://webmail.medschl.cam.ac.uk
If you are using IMAP, please ensure that your application is configured to connect to webmail.medschl.cam.ac.uk.
Supported Email Applications and Protocols
We have published guidance on the email applications and protocols that we support. This information can be found here: https://cscs-itsupport.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FAQ/pages/21365680/Email+Mail+Clients+and+Protocols
We also have available guidance on accessing your email from a personal device, including Android, iOS and Outlook, available here: https://cscs-itsupport.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FAQ/pages/21366086/Accessing+your+Email+Calendar+Contacts+Tasks
This list is not exhaustive, and most email applications should work.
How do I get my 50GB mailbox quota?
The increased storage capacity will be available automatically after the migration has completed.
The new Outlook Web App (Webmail)
The updated version of Outlook Web App offers a number of improvements. Importantly:
- An improved design
- Improved support for alternative browsers, such as Chrome and Firefox
- Offline editing – if you get disconnected whilst using OWA, you can continue working
Further information on using the various features of OWA can be found here: https://cscs-itsupport.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FAQ/pages/21365659/Email+Outlook+Web+App+OWA
I currently pay for additional Mailbox space? What will happen?
After the migration, all mailbox charges will be updated to reflect your actual utilisation, with mailboxes up to 50GB covered by the standard user charge.
Additional email storage can be provisioned in the form of an Online Archive, charged at £10 per month for every extra 10GB.
I currently archive some email to PST files, Thunderbird archives or similar. Can I import this mail back into my mailbox?
Yes. Email that has previously been stored in an archive to reduce the size of your mailbox can now be imported back into your mailbox (up to your 50GB limit). CSCS recommend that email is stored in your mailbox rather than PST as there is less risk of corruption.
Guidance on importing your PST files back into your mailbox will be made available later this week.
Can I get more information?
We have a variety of documentation on our Email Service available on CSCS Guides. The email section specifically can be found here https://cscs-itsupport.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FAQ/pages/21365081/Email+Guidelines
Thank you for your patience during the transition to the new email system.